Wednesday, July 18, 2012

The Invisible Qualities of God


     Since I examined the physical world of cause and effect last month (Shared on my blog here), I thought I might expand on that topic this month by stating how I wish God would be a cause that affects me.  He certainly has that ability – Jesus is proof of that!  I really need Him, even though sometimes, I don’t seek Him.  I know He did not set it up this way, and with good reason, but I would still sometimes like a God who would stop me from making mistakes, a God who, whenever I tended to go my own, human way or make sinful choices, would turn me around pronto, perhaps slap some sense into me, and say “What are you doing?  Stop it!  Why are you acting like an idiot!  Remember that you’re trying to make me proud of you!  Don’t screw it up!
God's Intervention
     But that doesn’t happen, so I’ll just have to continue trying to understand God in my limited, human way, and even though my puny mind can’t comprehend exactly what He is and how He exists, it will just have to be enough as I follow in His light loving Him, worshipping Him, and learning from His words and teaching.
     Can you blame me for wanting more?  The nature of God is that He is so close to us, yet is also far away.  We cannot sense Him with our five senses, or at least not that I’ve experienced, and if I did sense Him, I’d have to question whether or not it was truly God, or something else.  I’d probably end up questioning my own sanity.  Because I haven’t sensed Him with my physical senses, it makes Him pretty much undetectable and removed from the rest of us, even if, in reality, He is not.  And even if I could sense Him, and knew it was my Creator, and not some trick of the mind, or of Satan, I still couldn’t comprehend or understand Him, since He is so immense and omnipotent and exists outside of this dimension.
     Yet all I want, all I’m asking for, is a little push in the right direction.

- From my Journal, May 1999

No comments:

Post a Comment