Sunday, March 2, 2014

TV Catch-up: 20's Gangsters, Zombies, Nerds, Comedic Cops, and Harry Connick Jr. Beat Out a Late Night Latecomer, an Ancient Vampire, Dads, the Voice, and a Mentalist

Here's 5 recent TV Shows I've Liked, and 5 I've disliked.  Do with it what you will.  Agree, disagree, agree to disagree, or take my advice and try one of my favorites.  Three of them are on regular TV, and you might be able to catch the others on Netflix, Hulu, or other services.  Don't say I didn't warn you about the five I didn't like (and yes, despite some talent like Tessanne Chin and Will Champlin, I still much prefer American Idol over The Voice)

Five Favorite Recent TV Shows:

1. Bonnie and Clyde was Murderously Good


I love a good mini-series, and like last year’s Hatfields and McCoys, this one didn’t disappoint.  Unlike the Lifetime movie Lizzie Borden Took and Ax, the production here, including editing and use of music, were very well done, and I was invested in the characters and the story.  Holliday Grainger and Emile Hirsch were very charismatic and heartless in the lead roles as these two iconic bank robbers and murderers who got exactly what they deserved:  Fame AND an Early Death.

2. Still Walking with the Dead


The best drama on TV (though Elementary, Once Upon a Time, and the new Almost Human are also favorites), this gory series is very addicting, and more than halfway through season four, the producers and writers keep everything interesting from many different views, whether it’s the characters trying to survive in an unforgiving landscape, the plot twists, or the hoards of rotting zombies who’d like nothing more than to sink their teeth into warm, living flesh. 

3. The Big Bang Theory is still Big with a Bang!


I love The Middle, but Big Bang is still the best sitcom on TV, and it’s not quite as raunchy as it was in previous seasons, now that Howard’s married and Amy and Sheldon are an official item (even if Sheldon doesn’t quite know it yet).  There aren’t that many TV series that are still going strong after seven seasons, but this show only seems to be getting better.  It’s Friends for the nerd set.

4. Brooklyn Nine-Nine gets 9-9 out of 10-10 stars (twice)


The best new comedy, and, in fact, the best new TV series this season, is this sitcom starring Andy Samberg that takes the popular and modern police procedural, like all those endless Law and Order or CSI spinoffs, and about one or two dozen others, and makes it all so funny.  I wasn’t the biggest Samberg fan when he was on Saturday Night Live, but here, his character is perfect for him.  The rest of the cast are equally great in their roles, except, perhaps, Chelsea Peretti’s annoying Gina Linetti, but in a strong ensemble cast centered by a superb Sandberg, Joe Lo Truglio as Det. Charles Boyle manages to stand out as a somewhat endearing but courageous sap. 

5. Still Idolizing American Idol



Last Season, I found the rivalry between Mariah Carey and Nicki Minaj off-putting, and even though the girl contestants were quite good, the guys pretty much sucked, none of them making it into the top 5.  This year, with JLo coming back and Harry Connick Jr. joining the judging panel alongside last year’s Keith Urban, things are back on track.  And after having sat through all of The Voice this season for the first time, I’m finding that American Idol is still the singing competition to beat.

Five Recent TV Shows I Disliked:

1. Dracula Sucks!




I tried to get into this.  I liked Jonathan Rhys Meyers in the movie August Rush and the little I saw of the cable show The Tudors.  I was also looking forward to what they may be able to do with him at the center of the Dracula legend.  Right off the bat (no pun intended), I noticed his voice and his accent didn’t seem quite right, and the show started off presenting him disguised as a turn-of-the-century businessman with political plots mixed in, and doctor Van Helsing trying to create a formula that will allow him the ability to walk about in daylight.  These are tired old plots (remember the Ben Cross TV remake of Dark Shadows from the early 90's?  No?  See what I mean?), and this is actually a tired old formula, and after the third show, I asked myself why I was wasting my time.  Boring!  This is not something you can really sink your teeth into!

2. Arsenio Hall (pass)


I’ve only caught a little of late night hosts Jay Leno, David Letterman, Craig Ferguson, Conan O’Brien, Jimmy Kimmel, and Jimmy Fallon over the years, and of the little I’ve seen, I’m happy to know that Jimmy Fallon is now taking over The Tonight Show from Jay Leno.  He’s the best of them.  And now, after winning Celebrity Apprentice, and embarrassingly kissing Donald Trump’s butt on nearly every episode, Arsenio Hall has his old gig back.  I’ve seen it.  It’s not very good.  In fact, I’d have to say he’s the worst of the current crop of late night TV hosts.

3. Dads needs some good parenting


Despite what the critics say, it’s not the worst sitcom on TV.  I’ve already stopped watching the worst ones (or never watched them to begin with).  It is, however, far from being the best.  I finally decided to stop watching it when I realized I didn’t care if I saw another one.

4. I didn't hit my Button for The Voice


We started watching this, and started to see the formula: How a singer, whom the judges can’t see, gets them to turn their chairs around on the strength of their voices alone.  From then on, it’s a virtual love-fest, as the judges heap praises on their charges in an attempt to win, with nary a criticism among them.  After all, why would they want to criticize someone they chose?  The whole show comes dangerously close to being nothing more than grandiose self-congratulation, for both the contestants and the judges, and it runs thin, especially after 3 to 4 hours a week!  I’d have to say I generally like Adam Levine, Blake Shelton, and Christina Aguilera, though they all have more than just a bit of an ego.  I don’t care a lick for CeeLo Green.

Besides, I just barely got done with the last season on my DVR, and now they're starting yet another new season!  Can you say "Overkill"?

5. Is The Mentalist finally done with all that RED JOHN shenanigans?



Of the fictional police procedurals we enjoy, I’m most disappointed by this one.  Simon Baker’s schtick as a mentalist can get a bit tiresome, and that whole unsolved Red John storyline started taking over every single show until I no longer cared who the hell he was.  Now that it’s been solved (apparently, hopefully) the writers are shaking things up, just like the old drama House.  Is that a sign of the end?  This one is in its sixth season, and I’d have to say, unlike NCIS (even minus Ziva David), it’s not going very strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment