Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Lestat & Louis, Chucky & Tiffany, and a Cinderella Story: 10 Fun Old Movies


For years, I’ve been writing in a journal, and I like to write about all types of different things, from the serious to the trivial.  I write about what happens with the family every month, and at work, in church, in the news, as well as the music I’m listening to, the books I’m reading, the shows I’m watching, who I’m admiring, and the movies I either loved or hated.  In fact, since 1999, I’ve been keeping track of all the movies I’ve been watching and keeping a running tally of the ones I like and the ones I didn’t like, be they old or new, or something I’ve never seen or seen perhaps one too many times.  But I’ve been picking my monthly favorites and stinkers in this way for years.  These are the first ten I picked when I started this monthly journal way back in 1999 and that I loved enough to pick as favorites.
     I don’t always write a ton, and in fact, often it is just a blip as I say what I liked or didn’t like about it.  Blade, starring Wesley Snipes, I described as a “hip…stylish…guilty pleasure…with superb style, FX, stunt work and editing.”  Of Evita, I wrote, “Who cares if Madonna can’t act; she doesn’t have to do a lot of that here.  But the music is superb.”  I thought the Coen brothers’ Raising Arizona “has such a pleasing, southern quirkiness to it” and it “delights and tickles the funny-bone” and “moved me to laughter.”  I found The Mask of Zorro to be “a breath of fresh air… an old fashioned and lighthearted romp with lots of swordplay, good actors playing interesting characters,” and said it “was well put together, and most importantly, was well written.  In fact, I was surprised by the level of the writing!”  I wrote that “the story and special effects” in Mighty Joe Young “are first rate, and can stand up to any other live action family film Disney has ever made, and I’ve always liked Charlize Theron and Bill Paxton.”  I gave “kudos to director Stephen Summers and the gang…for finally dusting off that old Universal horror film icon” The Mummy “and giving him his own big budget remake, just like they did recently for Frankenstein, Dracula, and the Wolf Man with the modern films Mary Shelly’s Frankenstein, Bram Stoker’s Dracula, and Wolf.  They did a good job with this new and modern mummy movie” with “lots of adventure in this humorous swashbuckler that is more thrilling than scary.”  I even “applauded two made for TV miniseries that were a little better than the norm,” though I preferred Leelee Sobieski as Joan of Arc to Leonor Varela as Cleopatra, and wrote that “both of these May Sweeps Events were very well done, and both outdid other versions of these stories, with Joan of Arc being better than the recent theatrical release Messenger: The Story of Joan of Arc, and Cleopatra was more interesting and engaging than the infamous Elizabeth Taylor version from the sixties.”  It was actually through films like this that I became a fan of Peter O’Toole.  Here’s a few other films in which I said just a little bit more:

Interview with the Vampire

I know, I know!  First Blade, and now this five year old movie!  What, am I obsessed with vampires now?  Well, maybe.  In fact, there have been some very good vampire movies made in the last couple of decades, including Fright Night, The Lost Boys, Vamp, Near Dark, Bram Stoker’s Dracula, and I might even include a few problematic vampire films that still had some promise, like John Landis’ Innocent Blood and Robert Rodriguez’s From Dusk Till Dawn.
     Then again, I also rented and watched John Carpenter’s Vampires, which I listed as the worst I saw all month.
     There were several things that made Interview with the Vampire stand out for me.  The actors all did wonderful work embodying these characters, in particular Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt, and Kirsten Dunst.  Anne Rice’s source novel was, as much as I might hate to admit it, very well written and rich with intricate emotions and powerful themes.  The adapted screenplay borrowed just the right amount from the book, giving the actors scenes they could really sink their teeth into.  The costumes, make-up, and art direction were of very high caliber, particularly for a vampire film, following honorably in the footsteps of the numerous academy awards Bram Stoker’s Dracula won for these same categories.  The overall directing and editing of the film created just the right mood.  Lastly, I myself can identify somewhat with the character of Brad Pitt’s tortured Louis, because sometimes I find myself crying over the hatred of the world like he does here (Louis and Dr. Zhivago have a lot in common, starting with their artful, compassionate souls), and the part of the movie where he finally loses Claudia stirs my emotions.

Bride of Chucky

Well, with Blade and Interview with the Vampire as favorites, and now this fourth Child’s Play film about the murderous killer doll Chucky, I guess you can tell I like horror films!  I chose this one mainly due to surprise.  This could have been awful dreck, and as it was, it wasn’t really Academy Award material (being the fourth Chucky movie, there’s no way it could be!).  Yet it actually turned out to be pretty good, with lots of humor this time around, and without skimping on the scares.  The story’s pretty average, but they do well with it, and Jennifer Tilly adds a lot as Chucky’s former girl Tiffany who winds up in a doll herself, heading across the country with her stitched-together, demon-doll lover and causing mayhem in their quest to use two stupid teenagers as receptacles for their demented, evil souls.  After the dreary Child’s Play 3, I wasn’t expecting much from this sequel, and when it started out focusing on some characters who were sexually immoral, including trampy Tiffany, my first thought was that it was going to be nothing but exploitative trash.  But then I discovered something:  the filmmakers weren’t just churning out yet another Child’s Play movie to rake in the dough from dumb kids who didn’t know any better.  The makers of this movie actually like this genre in general and the Child’s Play movies in particular (at least the first two), and just had fun with it.  There’s lots of humor too, from Tiffany using a book called Voodoo for Dummies to bring Chucky back from beyond, to the scene where the two dolls make love, and Tiffany asks Chucky if he’s got a rubber.  “Tiff,” he replies, “I’m all rubber!” 
     The film doesn’t mind making fun of itself on occasion, such as when the hero finds out the dolls are alive, and asks, “So how did you end up like this?”
     “It’s a long story,” Chucky replies.
     “It sure is,” Tiffany chimes in.
     “In fact,” Chucky says, “if it were a movie, it would take three or four sequels just to do it justice!”
     Along with lots of blood and gore, some rather goofy plot turns and deaths, and some classic homages for everything from Friday the Thirteenth to The Bride of Frankenstein, this was just a fun, popcorn horror comedy all the way through.

Ever After: A Cinderella Story

Drew Barrymore was an endearingly cute child actress in such movies as E.T. – The Extra Terrestrial, Firestarter, and Irreconcilable Differences.  The only problem was that she was too aware of her own charm, and usually spoke her lines with a knowing smile, as if to say, “I’m so lovable!”  As she grew older, it became more and more obvious that she couldn’t act, and that her career rested on her toddler appeal and adorable lisp.  After her troubled “former-child-star” teen years full of wild parties, drugs, and alcohol, she emerged in the racy thriller Poison Ivy, which I never saw, and seemed destine to travel the same path as the likes of Shannon Doherty and the infamous Corey’s, Feldman and Haim.  But instead, she was determined, and tapped into a persona that was box office gold in some cute romantic comedies like The Wedding Singer and this one, Ever After, a live action retelling of the Cinderella story that adds lots of charm and magic, and pulls off the almost impossible task of comparing favorably to Disney’s classic, animated 1950 version.  With costars such as the valiant and handsome prince played by Dougray Scott and the evil step-mother played by Angelica Houston at her wickedly delicious best, this movie actually rivals Edward Scissorhands as one of the best modern fairy tales put on film.

No comments:

Post a Comment