Saturday, March 31, 2012

Obama's Rage: Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid



Image from http://livinglifeboomerstyle.com/TheRootsofObamasRagebyDineshDSouza.aspx
I loved Dinesh D’Souza’s What’s So Great About Christianity so much, I was anxious to read some of his other books, and though I still haven’t read his What’s So Great About America, I did check out his book Letters to a Young Conservative from the library, and thoroughly enjoyed it, and tried reading his biography of President Reagan, Ronald Reagan: How and Ordinary Man Became an Extraordinary Leader.  I was always an unabashed fan of President Reagan, yet I shy away from calling myself a politician, or being a devout follower of politics.  I am too easily distracted (which is probably the politicians' Machiavellian plan).  I remember an episode of NewsRadio in which the characters Dave and Lisa are shopping for a TV, and right there in the store, she becomes entranced by C-Span while Dave is mesmerized by an old rerun of Green Acres.  As much as I might be a Christian conservative republican, in this instance, I would be Dave.  In other words, as much as I admired Reagan, this biography didn’t hold my interest.  D’Souza’s focus was, I felt, more on Reagan’s politics, and less on Reagan the man.  I have always preferred the human stories that lie underneath the politics.  And like many Americans, I have the tendency to entertain my brain to mush.  Those Hulu aliens must be salivating!
     But it’s not the same with this book!  This book is more human.  I can follow his reasoning here, and I find it fascinating!  It’s not that Obama is so much a bleeding heart liberal or a Muslim sympathizer.  He may be these things, but D’Souza paints him here as, above all else, and anti-colonialist.  It fits with his Hawaiian upbringing and his father’s difficulties in Kenya, and he was influenced by many other anti-colonialists in his upbringing and education.  Much of D’Souza’s theories about Obama are not his own; they came from Obama’s own book, Dreams from my Father, and noting how the title reflects Obama’s reverence for his absent father in the title alone.  It’s not Dreams of my Father, indicating the dreams Obama’s father had, but Dreams from my Father, indicating that Obama Sr.’s dreams have been passed on to his impressionable son.  They are not Obama’s dreams as much as they are the dreams he received from his father.  
Image from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreams_from_My_Father
I find Dinesh’s book The Roots of Obama’s Rage captivating and stimulating, and the writing vivid and alive, much like it was for some of his better books.
            Right now, I’m on chapter four, and will definitely have more thoughts as I continue to read.  I found Laura Ingraham’s book The Obama Diaries a bit too jokey for its own good, but this is a searingly serious criticism against a man who deserves it, especially since he is the leader of this nation, and D’Souza mounts a well written, well mounted attack.  I am now that much more interested in reading D’Souza’s next book, God Forsaken, which includes on the cover this explanation:  “BAD THINGS HAPPEN.  Is there a God who cares?  YES.  Here’s proof.”  (Amazon lists all of this as the title, and if so, I’ll have to admit, it’s kind of clunky.  It’s even clunkier than some of my longer titles on my blog, such as “Killer Robots, The Vampire Next Door, an Elephant Named Rosie, and Minnie’s ‘Special’ Chocolate Pie: Four Recent Movies I Liked”).
            I’m looking forward to reading more of this interesting expose that examines why Obama does the things he does, and a look inside what might really be going on in his head.  If true, it deserves the same tagline Geena Davis gave for that old horror film remake of The Fly:  “Be afraid.  Be very afraid!”

No comments:

Post a Comment