Sunday, September 16, 2012

The Speculative Party of Inclusion, an old Canadian Horror Film and NAMBLA: Why I'm on the Right


Right versus left, conservatives versus liberals, republicans versus democrats, Christian versus secular, MSNBC versus Fox News, Romney versus Obama; I’m over on the conservative Christian republican right, but that doesn’t mean I like all this fighting!  I wish we could, as antagonizer Rodney King once said, “all just get along”.  But I don’t want to get along at the cost of compromising my principles.  It’s the principles we live by that make us the people we are, whether or not we actually live by them or practice what we preach.  Those on the right may have a difficult time always living up to those principles (think Elliot Spitzer), but they still have them.  But even though I’m loathe to admit it, those on the left aren’t moral-less.  They, too, have their own set of values, ethics and beliefs, and it can make coming to a clear understanding of right and wrong that much more difficult, especially if I embrace some of the things they stand for (such as the environment or a wish for world peace).  It can make one’s own walk less sure and more convoluted. They’re not necessarily bad people, they just have a different ideology than those of us over on the right.  That’s a hard truth to swallow for someone like me, who thinks the term “liberal Christian” is an oxymoron (I still don’t get that!) or who loves Ann Coulter’s notoriously hate-filled, anti-liberal yet concise, all inclusive arguments as well as her riotously witty yet scathingly derisive humor. Yet in regard to their ideology, the left, like the right, sometimes have a hard time living up to them:
      Comedy Central and The Daily Show just did a wonderfully funny report from the Democratic National Convention (linked here) that showed a bunch of people in the “tolerant” party compromising their leftist principles.  Being the party of inclusion, they spoke about how open minded they were, and included everybody with open arms - “latinos… hispanics… blacks…  the lgbt community… women… the poor” - everybody, that is, except the closed minded right wingers.  Not included in their “open arms” are hunters, gun owners, and white males!  One woman, however, disagreed, and after declaring how wonderfully inclusive they were, said that they “even invite the redneck freaks in!”
     “What can we teach these wack jobs about inclusion?” actress/"reporter" Samantha Bee asked one man, and the response was “You can’t teach them anything!”  The responder went on to say how he “always called them Nazis, and evil, even before it was appropriate.”  The people on the right were described by these loving, tolerant people as “a bunch of gun-toting, hillbilly tea partiers,” as well as “small minded,” and “anti-science.”  Another woman said they “don’t have a clue about science” and were “very questionable on any kind of thought that involves more than two or three sentences.”  Another woman didn’t want any people in who were carrying guns, and Daily Show "reporter" Jason Jones jokingly agreed.  “Right, who needs that 146 million people in your party?”  One man bragged about “the democratic party” by saying “we don’t stereotype, we don’t generalize,” and then, as if to prove it, another woman said these coarse Christian conservatives most likely only have “a couple of teeth, hair out of place…maybe a nice gut” and was easily goaded by Sam into imitating them.  My favorites were two very ironic statements.  One man said that he “would never call a redneck a name” (Jason had to take a moment to jot that one down, so the guy might hopefully get a clue as to what he just said), and one poor, mixed up old lady said that “the ‘teabaggers’ generalize because they’re very narrow minded people… the ‘teabaggers’ are the least tolerant group I’ve ever seen!”  Jason had a little bit of fun with her at the end when she said “The world would be very beautiful if we could just except everybody’s differences,” and he goaded her into understanding that everybody actually meant everybody!  He had to coax her three times before she finally understood.  “You mean I should except them, is that what you’re saying?”  And consider:  This was Jon Stewart’s left leaning comedy news show, not Fox!
     Another report for a different internet show had an intrepid journalist discussing how the rich should pay more taxes.  All the liberals he interviewed were definitely for it, of course, even though they didn’t have an inkling the moment he starting asking them percentages and actual monetary amounts as to what they thought was fair.  Many agreed that 30% was fair, until the reporter pointed out that the rich were already paying 35%, and then asked them if that meant they wanted to lower it to 30%.  I may not be the most informed guy around, but neither are they!  Many don’t seem to have a clue that the wealthiest 10% pay 68% of the nation’s taxes!  Many others didn’t seem to care.
     You see, I can say I don’t like all this hate, and that my head gets turned around with all the politics going back and forth, but I’m still a right-wing republican conservative Christian!  And I know that some things happening over on the right aren’t all that great either.  Four years ago, McCain wasn’t my first choice for the Republican ticket, and Romney was not my first choice for president among the republican candidates this year (that would have been Rick Santorum, http://www.ricksantorum.com/), but he was too far right of center for the undecided, and like my sister said recently, I still like much of what I see about Romney (http://www.mittromney.com/forms/welcome-0), and I like his VP running mate Paul Ryan very much (http://paulryan.house.gov/).  I think this nation would greatly improve under their leadership, while it would continue to rot and implode under Obama and the liberal agenda.
     Because the bottom line is that I am a conservative Christian republican not for a fiscal reason, but for moral reasons.  You see, the Democratic Party, by and large, is liberal, and liberals will basically embrace just about anything and everything in the name of freedom.  They are for legalizing pot, allowing gay marriage, and performing abortion on demand.  I, on the other hand, along with my party, believe that there are some things we shouldn’t do, in the name of morality.  I think gay marriage, and homosexuality in general, is a sinful, immoral, unbiblical principal, and abortion is never just a choice, but murder.  I also have the wherewithal to be able to back up this stance with ideas and history, statistics and philosophical and theological arguments.  Unlike the liberals’ comically unrealized ideal, I am not all inclusive.  I draw a line in the sand.
     You see, I see the liberal party in much the same way as I see the residents of the condominium in David Cronenberg’s cheap and depraved old Canadian horror film They Came From Within, aka Shivers, aka The Parasite Murders (see the trailer linked here).  This film is about a species of parasites created at a local college.  The parasites are disgusting, bloody little slug-like creatures, and they begin infecting the residents of this apartment complex, and spread like a sexual disease.  Once infected, the victims develop an insatiable sexual appetite.  One big woman declares “I’m hungry…I’m hungry for love!” before forcibly grabbing an unlucky guy and dragging him into her apartment.  As the disease spreads, the residents begin breaking every sexual taboo in the book, and I’m thankful this film only hinted at most of it.  At the end of the film, the hero tries to make a get-away through the patio, but is surrounded by the sex freaks, who then corner him in the pool room.  They grope at him and push him into the pool, and one woman grabs him and forces a kiss upon his lips as the parasite sickeningly slides down his throat!  The last shot shows all the inhabitants, including the movie’s hero, exiting the parking garage in pairs, leaving the point of origin to begin infecting the rest of the world.
     The liberal movement is like this, and it’s ironic that it just so happens to be a sexual disease that infects the people in this movie.  In my younger years, I saw a lot of horror movie crap, and this film was disgusting and decadent, yet all these years later, it keeps popping back into my mind whenever I think about the liberal movement.  (See a behind the scenes history of the film linked here).  Like the characters in this movie, once these people have this parasite within them (They Came From Within), it changes them, and now, they are open to anything and everything – things they never would have been opened to before, and things they never would have even thought of doing before!  Radical ideas and taboos are suddenly accepted!  And the same thing is happening now.  I’ve had people I know stick up for strippers and prostitutes!  They’re only trying to make money to put themselves through school, they explain, and I am seen as too stodgy and old-fashioned in my thinking. 
     Yet it doesn’t stop there, and it continues to degrade and get worse.  There’s a website now with people who are fans of the mass murderer James Holmes, now infamous for the Batman movie shooting.  They call themselves “Holmies,” and I’d be willing to bet they’d think they were normal, and would be able to explain why they tout a mass murderer as a role model!  NAMBLA, the North American Man-Boy Love Association, is, of course, a disgusting organization openly touting homosexual pedophilia, using the homosexual’s playbook, and actually has the ACLU defending them in court! 
     With so many immoral people fighting for their freedoms, and wanting their say, and claiming they have a right, as free citizens of the United States, to believe whatever they want, say whatever they want, act however they desire (and they do), that means this country will simply continue to get worse every single day.  They even have the right to think that I’m a blithering idiot, if they so desire, but then I also have the same right to think that they are deluded and brainwashed.  It’s one of the things that makes this country so great, and why immigrants flock here:  Because people have the right to actually mock and attack those fighting for their very freedom!  You couldn’t do that in Libya or North Korea! But it makes me feel like I keep having to go back to square one and determine what it is I believe, and why I believe it, and then I feel like nothing more than one still small voice, crying out in the wilderness, and nobody hears me!
     I like being able to galvanize my thoughts, pick my battles one issue at a time, one problem at a time, or take a nice, long look at the problematic subjects from a sweeping overview.  Using a “forest and trees” analogy, I’d rather examine the forest as a whole, or take a close look at one or two trees, rather than running from tree to tree as I seem to be doing now.  I simply find it hard to speak truth when there are so many voices clamoring for attention, and each one valid from that person’s certain point of view.
     But even with all of this going on, I still have to make up my own mind, as do we all.  I choose God - the Christian God - and I'm sure I always will.  I’d rather be with the “gun-toting, hillbilly tea partiers” rather than the supposedly open, all-inclusive party who makes fun of them.  I’d rather be on the side of Mitt Romney, Paul Ryan, Rick Santorum, and Dinesh D’Souza instead of the secretly bigoted party of the ACLU and NAMBLA, Obama and Pelosi, sanctimonious strippers and their supporters, and those who embrace their freedoms to such an extent that the world starts to look more and more like David Cronenberg’s They Came from Within every day.  I choose to be on the side I am because the other - the all inclusive party - would open their door to sex freaks like that before opening it to the righteous.  And I’d be willing to bet most liberals would be shocked to know that the Middle East hates America for this kind of western infection more than for the conservative right’s embrace of Jesus!  It’s funny how the left just can’t seem to understand that.

Do you ever get the feeling people think you're crazy 'cause you trust what they can't see
Do you ever get the feeling people think you're shallow and will change what you believe
But I'm not here to argue about what others think and feel
'Cause I'm not ashamed to tell anyone what I know to be real

I'm serious about the stand I'm taking / Serious about the choice I'm making
Serious about the things that I believe
I'm serious about the talking I'm talking / The evidence is in the walk I'm walking
Serious about love and purity / I'm serious as I can be

I'm not the first to meet with laughter and resistance from a disbelieving crowd
But I've to to meet it head on / I'm just gonna keep on / Won't let it get me down
I'm not here to give up / Jesus didn't give up on me
Even when the goin' gets rough / I promised God that I'll be...
Serious about the stand I'm taking / Serious about the choice I'm making
Serious about the things that I believe
I'm serious about the talking I'm talking / The evidence is in the walk I'm walking
Serious about love and purity / I'm serious as I can be

Won't change my mind / Got to close the door
No time for goin' back to what I had before
I'm so tired of playin' all these games
'Cause the more I see what you mean to me, the more I want to say


I'm Serious about the stand I'm taking / Serious about the choice I'm making
Serious about the things that I believe
'Cause I'm serious about the talking I'm talking / The evidence is in the walk I'm walking
Serious about love and purity / I'm serious as I can be

I'm (serious) serious as I can be (serious) it's what I want the world to see (serious)
Oh, don't you know I'm gonna be so (serious)
This is the choice I'm making (serious)
This is the road that I'll be taking (serious)
Don't you know anyone can be so (serious)



            - “Serious”
               Joy Williams

No comments:

Post a Comment