Thursday, March 21, 2013

The Best and Worst Movies of 1990

As I'm slowly going through my old journals and posting them in my blog in the middle of each week, I find myself now in March of 2000, and where I took the time to recount the decade of the 90's.  For instance, my last two mid-week entries concern how I became a Christian in the 90's (linked here) and the biggest news stories of that decade (linked here).  It was during this time I also did a list of my favorite movies from the 90's.  Any decade of movies, however, especially for a movie lover, is going to be quite extensive, and listing them all here right now would be quite overwhelming.  For this reason, I have decided to break it down by year.  This will take me ten weeks to recount the movies of just the 90's, but if you are a fan of movies, you might find it as fun a diversion as I found it while recounting it all, with many thanks to Wikipedia for their yearly movie lists (see what I used linked here).
     These weekly lists will cover one year in cinema history, as I name my top ten, and then list ten other movies that almost made my top ten list, my choice for bottom ten movies, and then finally, for comparison, I list the biggest box office hits of that year along with the biggest contenders at the Oscars, those which were nominated for Best Picture, or which won other awards (would you believe Dick Tracy won three Oscars?)
     After I spend the next ten weeks on the 90's, I will go back to my regular journal entries from that time, but I reserve the right to do the same thing at some point in the future with other decades - The 80's, the 70's, the 60's (the decade I was born in ), and maybe some of the decades before then, and most certainly the first ten years since the millennium.
        So, without further adieu, here is my list of my top ten favorite films of 1990, in alphabetical order:


Arachnophobia
I like good old roller coaster ride horror movies and creature features.  This delivers on the thrills and chills, and also has a surprising amount of comedy.

Awakenings
When Robert DeNiro was recently receiving some sort of Lifetime Achievement Award, he took the time to give special mention of this film where he played a man afflicted with encephalitis suddenly cured, but only for a short time.

Dances with Wolves
Critics and audiences these days might mention this film as one of those bloated, slow films that the Academy loves (like The English Patient), but they are wrong.  I got a lot out of this story of a Civil War deserter who is adopted by a native tribe.

Die Hard 2: Die Harder
I’m not one of those who is in love with any old Die Hard movie Hollywood and Bruce Willis decide to make.  Are there five now?  I’ve lost track.  But there’s no doubt I absolutely loved the first one, and this second one offered more of the same, but at a different location; in this case, an airport in a snow storm.

Edward Scissorhands
The first, and probably still the best, of the Tim Burton/Johnny Depp collaborations.  This modern day fantasy is simply brimming over with great ideas and imagery about the differences in each of us that both ostrasize us and make us special.  The parallels between Edward and Burton, especially in regards to their creativity and how they are perceived by the populace, are too glaring not to mention.

Ghost
Some find it maudlin, but this story of a man who becomes a ghost and then tries to contact his true love left behind, and save her from the bad guy, is just about the perfect combination of story, romance, emotion, and effects; and did I mention comedy.  It’s one of those rare few films Whoopi Goldberg was actually good in!  Normally, I can’t stand her!

Goodfellas
I’m not the biggest fan of gangster movies either, and some of my favorite Scorsese movies aren’t of the gangster variety (Cape Fear, After Hours, Shutter Island).  There are always exceptions.  Goodfellas is one of my all time favorite gangster flicks, mostly because of how well it is put together. 

Hamlet
Real Shakespeare fans can site Olivier or Branagh on film, or even something completely unconventional, like the modern take from 2000 with Ethan Hawke.  But in my opinion, Gibson is more than a match for any of them, and lending credence to this version are the performances of Glenn Close, Alan Bates, Paul Scofield, Ian Holm, and Helena Bonham Carter, not to mention Franco Zeffirelli’s superb direction.  This is often overlooked, but I think it’s worth another look.

Home Alone
The film that made Macaulay Culkin a star, at least in his child years.  Written by John Hughes and directed by Chris Columbus, this is a Christmas-time staple that hits all the right notes.

Misery
Kathy Bates’ performance and character are simply chilling, and this was the best non-supernatural thriller of year, by far!

The following are my top ten choices for the best of the rest, and my bottom ten:

Best of the Rest:

Back to the Future, Part III
Child's Play 2
Darkman
Europa Europa
Gremlins 2: The New Batch
The Grifters
I Love You to Death
Stephen King's It
Predator 2
Tremors

Time travel to the old west, deranged killer dolls and alien clowns, Sam Raimi's first foray into superhero territory, a Jewish boy hiding from the Nazi's right under their noses, gremlins and a predator moving to the city, the life of hustlers, an Italian philanderer surviving several comedic attacks on his life, and Reba McEntire with an elephant gun are just some of the joys to be found in list list of ten films.

The Worst:


Brain Dead
The Exorcist III
The Guardian
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre III
Men at Work
Night Breed
Repossessed
Revenge
The Sheltering Sky
Wild at Heart

I love horror movies, but don't think it hasn't escaped my attention that at least half this stinkers list contains horror movies.  The rest of the list has a rotten horror movie parody, Emilio Esteves and Charlie Sheen as garbage men, and Nicolas Cage in some cheesy David Lynch concoction.  Meanwhile, The Sheltering Sky was mind-numbingly slow and strange, and for those that thought Dances with Wolves was long and boring, I give you Kevin Costner's other movie from that year:  Revenge.  It wasn't even all that long.  It just seemed like it.


Just for comparison, I'd thought I'd also share the biggest box office hits of the year, as well as the top choices at the Oscars.  Notice how Reversal of Fortune, Dick Tracy, The Hunt for Red October, Pretty Woman, Total Recall, and Kindergarten Cop didn't make it into my top twenty.  I liked them fine, they just didn't make it to the top of my lists.  Meanwhile, I never saw Cyrano de Bergerac, Presumed Innocent, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.


Notable Oscar Films                                         Biggest Box Office Hits
Dances With Wolves                                           Ghost
Awakenings                                                         Home Alone
Ghost                                                                   Pretty Woman
The Godfather, Part III                                       Dances With Wolves
Goodfellas                                                           Total Recall
Reversal of Fortune                                            Back to the Future Part III
Misery                                                                  Die Hard 2: Die Harder
Dick Tracy                                                           Presumed Innocent
The Hunt for Red October                                  Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Cyrano de Bergerac                                            Kindergarten Cop





No comments:

Post a Comment