Saturday, September 14, 2013

Hey Scott, I Like Him Too! John Wayne: A Real/Reel Hero

[All titles below link to videos]

I’ve been wanting to add the Duke to this list of role models and people I admire for some time now.
     I’m not the big western fanatic my older brother is, and even though I’ve seen my fair share over the years (Gunsmoke, Bonanza, Big Valley, the brilliant Little Big Man, Cat Ballou, Young Guns, Silverado, Tombstone, Open Range, the remake of 3:10 to Yuma, and the History Channel's mini-series of the Hatfields and McCoys, to name a few), and I appreciate a good gunslinger tale from time to time, I have not seen a lot of the older westerns, and that includes the movies of John Wayne, who is most known for his westerns, though he has very rarely played a few other types from time to time, such as soldiers and cops in films like The Green Berets and Brannigan.  Once upon a time, he even played Genghis Khan, in Howard Hughes’ The Conquerer from 1956, with a dismal 3.2 audience rating on the internet movie database.  He wasn’t really the greatest actor.  He never disappeared into his roles the way Marlon Brando or Laurence Olivier were known to do back then, or that actors like Gary Oldman or Daniel Day Lewis manage to do these days, but then, fewer actors than you might think are able to do this with precision. 
     What he did do was exude realism, and dignity, and decency, and nobility, both onscreen and off.  I’ve actually only seen John Wayne in a few movies:  Rio BravoEl Dorado, The Cowboys, and True Grit, and I’ve seen parts of The Quiet Man, and Rooster Cogburnthe sequel to True Grit.  (Perhaps, after reading this, my brother will be nice enough to reply with other John Wayne movies that shouldn't be missed.  What do you say, Scott?)  And in each of these characters, and more, he displays bravery, morality, and courage under fire.  In True Grit, he won an Oscar as Best Actor for playing an old, washed-up, one-eyed, drunken gunslinger, and still wound up the most noble character in the entire movie!


     And then I recently came across a video on YouTube (linked here) in which he was a guest on Dean Martin’s variety show in 1966, and his words made me appreciate him all the more, especially in today’s day and age where people, not just actors, can be famous and idolized for being idiots, like Kim Kardashian, The Situation, and now, Miley Cyrus.  When Martin asked about his new eight month old daughter at the time, and what John Wayne wanted for her, Wayne’s reply was what would be now be considered narrow-minded, but also ethical and elegant:
     Well, ah, the same as any parent wants, I guess.  I’d just like to stick around long enough to see she gets started right.  I’d like her to know some of the values that we knew as kids; some of those values that too many people these days are thinking are old fashioned.  Most of all, I want her to be grateful, as I am, every day in my life to live in these United States.  I know it may sound corny, but the first thing my daughter’s learning from me is the Lord’s Prayer and some of the Psalms.  And I really don’t care if she ever memorizes the Gettysburg Address, just so long as she understands it.  And since little girls are seldom called upon to defend their country, she may never have to raise her hand for that oath, but I certainly want her to respect all those who do.  I guess, um, that’s about what I want for my daughter, Dean.
“I’m proud to know you, Duke!” was Dean Martin’s apt reply.   


     If only our current president loved this country and the Lord as much as John Wayne did, but everything John Wayne stated in this little speech are things Obama and the liberals are always apologizing to the rest of the world for!
            …and then we make such a big thing of Miley Cyrus “twerking”.
            We need more people like John Wayne!  And we need them badly!


2 comments:

  1. Well Gary, I suppose I've seen couple more than you. I love all those you mentioned, as well as those I've listed below (you would do well to see those I've listed, especially those I listed as dramatic...and probably the comedic too). I've watched many more, but to keep my response manageable, I'll leave it at these. Did you know Four Brothers is a remake of The Sons of Katie Elder? Or that it was Jimmy Stewart's character in The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance whom John Wayne famously referred to as "Pilgrim"?

    By the way, The Duke was nearly as prolific in making war movies as westerns...I just happen to have more of a penchant for westerns.

    He was extremely adept at portraying larger than life masculine role models; men who were courageous, honorable, capable, steadfast, strong, patriotic, God-fearing, and wise - characteristics that are much rarer these days...both in real life and in the movies.

    *Traditional
    Big Jake
    Chisum
    Hondo
    Rio Lobo
    The Sons of Katie Elder
    Cahill, US Marshall
    The Comancheros
    The War Wagon
    The Undefeated
    *Dramatic
    Red River
    The Searchers
    The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
    Stagecoach (considered his breakout role)
    Angel and the Badman
    The Alamo
    The Shootist
    *Comedic
    McLintock
    Hatari
    *War
    Sands of Iwo Jima
    Flying Leathernecks

    I believe he was a true American Hero, who despite being one of the most prolific actors of all time, was woefully under-rated in his industry.

    Just like Dad, I wish he were still around today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Scott, knew I could count on you! What about "Three Godfathers" from 1948, which I've heard is somewhat of a Christian allegory for the Nativity story and the three wise men? I saw it in a book once that did a list of the greatest "Christmas" movies ever made.
    Also, I've never wanted to get one of those John Wayne compilations they sell at the stores. Looking over his filmography on imdb, he was in over 50 films before 1935, and it doesn't look like any of them were classics. The only ones from way back then that were even rated on Rotten Tomatoes were "The Big Trail" from 1930 and "Babyface" from 1933.
    As for the war vs. western, while looking at his filmography on imdb before writing this, from his last role in "The Shootist" and going backwards, they were all westerns, except for "Brannigan" and "McQ" and "Hellfighters" where he played an oil well firefighter, so it looks like I'd have to go back earlier than "The Green Berets" from 1968 to see all his war pictures (and the one where he played Genghis Khan!)
    Oh, and I did see Four Brothers. :)
    Thanks Scott!

    ReplyDelete