Thursday, September 19, 2013

Celebrity Watch: Miley Cyrus, "Twerking" Celebutard

I'm starting to write about not just role models or people I admire, like Jesus or John Wayne that I posted about recently (here and here), but the idiots too.  There are a lot of them to choose from!

Give most of these celebrities enough rope, and they’ll hang themselves!
     Not that the public minds.  I imagine many of them probably loved Miley Cyrus’ appearance on the Video Music Awards, especially if they’re in the industry … or liberals.  I can hear them now:  “Hey, she’s just like the rest of us!”
     I, of course, was never a fan, or either her or her father.  I don’t have kids, so I never had to suffer through a ton of Hannah Montana, which, I’m told by at least one of my nieces, was a great show.  I’m sure it was, just like all the other Disney or Nickelodeon shows, and I’ve even seen a few episodes myself of tween hits like Phil of the Future, Kim Possible, Lizzie McGuire, The Sweet Life of Zach & Cody, The Wizards of Waverly Place, Good Luck Charlie, Austin & Ally, Kickin’ It, Big Time Rush, and unfortunately, Dog with a Blog.  What can I say, I have a niece or two who like quite of few of these shows, and has shared them with me on occasion, and to be fair, I have watched a few on my own, out of boredom or curiosity.  Sometimes I even liked what I saw, as guilty pleasures.  I even have a favorite from all of those shows:  Drake & Josh.  Josh Peck reminded me of Lou Costello, and I liked his comic mugging; same goes for Shia LeBeouf in Even Stevens, Raven SymonĂ© in That’s So Raven, and Jerry Trainor in both iCarly and Wendell & Vinnie.  But don’t even get me started on all those cartoons!  NOT a fan!
     And right in the middle of it all was a hit show starring Billy Ray Cyrus, fresh from his stint as Doc in the cable show of the same name, and his daughter Miley.  I never thought she was talented, as either an actress or a singer.  I found her quite whiny and nasally.  But a lot of teens, and their parents, found her to be a role model.  Billy Ray was a Christian, after all! 
     Then she grew up, and it didn’t help when she started making theatrical Hannah Montana movies like the 2008 Hannah Montana & Miley Cyrus: Best of Both Worlds Concert and Hannah Montana: The Movie in 2009, and the studios greedily charged more money because they knew the kids would demand to see it, no matter the price, and their parents would pay it.  They pulled this recently with concert movies for Justin Beiber and Katy Perry, and I find the practice nauseating.
     You see, for every idiot celebutard, there are millions of idiot fans, clamoring for more.  I can’t blame the young, impressionable kids (I was one once, and probably one of the worst as far as being manipulated by the entertainment industry), and the parents have enough to worry about.  They’ll grip about having to pay more, and then they’ll pay it to keep the kids happy.  The whole situation is probably a marketing strategists’ dream!
     And you want to know what’s really bad?  Sometimes, I’m one of the idiots!
     But at least I’ll admit it.
     And if Miley ever apologizes, or makes a come-back in a great movie, I might change my tune about her.  I did with Andy Dick after seeing the last season of Dancing with the Stars, where he admitted to being an idiot for so many years, and redeeming himself in my eyes (at least, what I could see), so I guess anything is possible.
     Yet the whole thing leaves a bad taste in my mouth.  I guess Miley doesn’t like the taste either.  Just look at that tongue!  Is she gagging even while she’s in the middle of it all?  Oh no, my bad.  She’s just being filthy.  

2 comments:

  1. Perhaps people such as yourself should stop pressuring all these celebrities to be a 'role model' for children. Miley is in no way harming you, nor anyone else for that matter. If she's got the confidence to do whatever she wants then I think we should let her do that! She's breaking no laws where she lives so what's the issue and why is it affecting you? If you for some reason believe every celebrity should be setting an example for the generation growing up, why not focus on the fact that Miley is demonstrating that people can have the confidence to do what they want to do! Rather than disgracing her for something you wouldn't personally do.
    I'm failing to see what Miley should apologise for as she's breaking no laws nor affecting anyone such as yourself. If she's happy doing what she's doing and living her dream, you should accept that and leave her to continue LIVING. I think that's where you're missing out when you sit here and judge these celebrities to whether or not they're setting an 'appropriate example' for influential children. You are forgetting that you can do what you want to do, just as Miley's doing.
    And if you deem it necessary to rip Miley to shred's because of her VMA performance I think you need to re-watch it and take notice of the married Robin Thicke stood behind her. Did you not see it also compulsive to mention the degrading values of his hit 'Blurred Lines'? Or are you too sexist to focus on the fact he completely objectified women throughout the song not to even mention the music video which consists of him surrounded by almost completely naked women, wearing only pants, and draped all over him. Perhaps you should put some things into perspective and see the real issue here is not Miley showing people they're free to do what they want to do in life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A few points pertaining to your rebuttal:
    I'm not pressuring these celebrities to be role models. If you saw the readership for this blog, you'd perhaps realize mine is a tiny little corner of the internet. I sincerely doubt any celebrity has read it, and if perchance they do, they'll breeze past it without a second thought.
    I do believe that celebrities have a responsibility. With great power comes great responsibility. I believe they don't always wield it well.
    How do you know Miley, or any of them, are in no way harming me or anyone else? What is your definition of "harming"? When taken collectively, they are negatively impacting this society, and as I said in my blog post, even I am not above that negative influence.
    Having confidence is not synonymous with doing whatever you want. Sometimes, having confidence might require someone doesn't do whatever they want. What about responsibility?
    There's a difference between laws and morality.
    I do believe celebrities should be setting an example. The problem is what kind of example they're setting.
    Someday, Miley may look back on this behavior, in the same way Andy Dick looked back on his behavior, and Robert Downey Jr. looked back on his behavior, and make a change, and have regret. It happens all the time, in Hollywood or elsewhere. That's where the apology would come from. Not because I necessarily need one from her, but because she herself may want to give one someday, after she's matures.
    How do you know she's happy doing what she's doing? Is this really her dream?
    Why should I accept all the things other people do? Do you do that? And, in fact, am I in her way? Am I keeping her from LIVING? This is just a blog post.
    You take me to task for judging, but in the same breath, you are judging me, telling me what you think about me, and how I'm missing out because I'm judging celebrities.
    My worry is that they're not just influencing "influential children", but all of us.
    We can all do what we want to do. I also try to practice responsibility.
    I DID mention the degrading lyrics to Blurred Lines in another blog post, and championed Matt Walsh when he blogged about it too. So in fact, I'm not too sexist to mention that he objectifies women. He objectified Miley, and you seem to have no problem with the fact that she was being objectified. In fact, you applaud her for her "confidence".
    The real issue is not freedom to do whatever they want to do in life. The real issue is the death of biblical morality in this prevalence of trash culture, and how we come to the defense of those doing the trashing in the name of freedom.
    Ask yourself this question: If you're taking Robin Thicke to task for objectifying women, why are you applauding the girl who is allowing herself to be objectified, and calling it confidence?

    ReplyDelete