Sunday, May 6, 2012

Reality TV: My Thoughts on the 2012 Seasons of American Idol, Dancing with the Stars, Celebrity Apprentice, and Survivor


American Idol


I love Phillip Phillips!  He may be eccentric in his singing, and a bit too laid back otherwise, but what a talent!  I’ve downloaded nearly all his songs, though truthfully, some are better than others.  He’s unique.  I also love Hollie.  I can see what the judges are saying about her sometimes over-thinking her performances, or not having the soul of Jessica and Joshua, but so what?  Soul has its own problems, and while the audience seems to love every performance by every person, and the judges give standing ovations to the soul performers almost exclusively, soul music still only appeals to one niche in the grand scheme of the music world.  The judges need to keep that in perspective, like they do for country music.  Just because it’s the kind of music they favor in particular doesn’t mean it’s the kind of music everyone likes.  And like Phillip, but in a different way, Hollie is also a talent, and an often maligned one.  While the judges have primarily been very hard on her, she’s stuck around week after week after week, and I’ve downloaded some amazing performances of hers:  “All the Man That I Need,” “The Power of Love,” “Perfect,” “Rolling in the Deep,” and “The Climb,” among others.
     I’ve downloaded a few of Joshua and Jessica’s, when they’re more restrained, including their duet together “I Knew You Were Waiting (For Me)”.  When they’re not screaming, or being egged on to scream even more by the judges’ constant praise when they do, they seem to do a very good job, and I liked Joshua singing Stevie Wonder’s “I Wish” and “Ready for Love,” while Jessica has done an amazing job on songs by the late Whitney Houston:  “I Will Always Love You” and “How Will I Know,” as well as a wonderful rendition of Luther Vandros’ “Dance with My Father”. 
     Then there’s Skylar and Colton, who did an amazing job on the duet “Islands in the Stream”.  It took me a bit to warm up to them.  I thought Skylar possessed some of the qualities I find difficult to like in today’s modern country music landscape:  Namely, an affinity for rock and roll, and I didn’t like her as much as, say, Scotty McCreery and Lauren Alaina from last season, or Kellie Pickler from season 5.  But later, I really enjoyed her versions of old classics like “Wind Beneath My Wings” and “I Heard It Through the Grapevine.”  In fact, upon review, she hasn’t really had a bad performance.  It’s just that, usually, they are not quite as good as some of the other performer’s good performances in any given week.  For instance, on the week where the performers did a Queen song and then a more modern choice, most of the performers had one good performance and one bad performance (or, in the case of Elise, two bad performances), but even though Skyler’s were both good, they weren’t among the best (which, for that week, were “Dance with My Father” by Jessica, “The Climb” by Hollie, “Ready for Love” by Joshua, and “Fat Bottomed Girls” by Phillip).  Likewise, I didn’t care much for Colton at first, and on the week he was voted out, he messed up with unimpressive versions of Lady Gaga’s “Bad Romance” and a slow piano version of Earth, Wind and Fire’s “September”.  Yet at the beginning of the competition, I didn’t think I’d like any of his performances, and I was surprised when I found myself downloading “Piano Man,” “Time After Time,” and “Love the Way You Lie.”
     That just leaves a handful of people who might have been better if they had been afforded an opportunity to stay longer or to grow.  This group includes the baritone, gentle giant Jermaine (not so gentle, apparently, since the reason he left early was for not admitting his arrest record) Erika Van Pelt, and Heejun Han.
     Finally, there’s Elise.  Sure, she has some talent, but it wore thin over the weeks, and her personality stunk.  She was not very gracious, and definitely not a gracious loser.  Think of her as a worse version of Haley Reinhart.  As snotty as my brother and his wife thought Haley was, Elise was snottier, and though Elise did have a unique tone to her voice, it wasn’t as unique or as pleasant as Haley’s.  I’m glad Elise is gone.  She didn’t deserve to win, and everyone was nicer than her.

Dancing with the Stars


 The big, goony klutz this year, similar to Macy Gray and Penn Jillette from previous seasons, was Martina Navratilova, though I thought it was sad to see professional Tony Dovolani go so soon.  Of the other performers already voted out, most of them were not that strong, like Jack Wagner, though Sherri Shepherd and Gavin DeGraw will be missed leaving so soon, as I really liked both of their personalities, and Sherri had some real dancing talent!  Gladys Knight hung on much too long in my opinion, though she did pretty well for being the oldest contestant.  I also liked all their dancing partners (Anna Trebunskaya for Jack Wagner, Karina Smirnoff for Gavin DeGraw, Tristan MacManus for Gladys Knight) except that Sherri’s partner, Val Chmerkovskiy, Maksim’s brother, really rubs me the wrong way!  And several news stories and rumors about Jaleel White of “Urkel” fame, paired with Kym Johnson, have circulated that he’s not the nicest guy around!
     Of those remaining, Melissa Gilbert, paired with Maks, should thank her lucky stars she made it this far!  She is trying, but she is the weakest of all the dancers remaining.  And Roshon Fegan of Disney Channel fame, paired with Chelsie Hightower, is technically proficient and a natural dancing talent, yet I find it interesting he has been in the bottom two a few times now, after good performances, so despite his talent, he doesn’t stand the best chance of winning.
     That leaves a few sports figures, a classical singer, and an obscure Latin heartthrob dueling it out, and any of the four of them could win.  Wrestler Maria Menounos with the horrible laugh is paired with Derek Hough, which is reason enough to believe she could win, yet the others are good enough to give Derek a run for his money this year.  Donald Driver, teamed with Peta Murgatroyd, has given this newcomer a much better chance at the trophy than who she was paired with last time around (Mehta Worldpeace; giggle).  However, on mere looks alone, Latin star William Levy, paired with Cheryl Burke, is the most popular, and nobody really knows who he is. Still, I’m rooting for classical vocalist Katherine Jenkins and her partner Mark Ballas.  As a close friend of Derek’s, Mark is choreographing some great routines, and Jenkins has some dancing ability, and she’s cute.  Still, they might make a cuter couple if Mark would grow his hair out.  That haircut is way too severe if you ask me!

Celebrity Apprentice


 I was surprised that my favorite two players turned out to be Arsenio Hall and Clay Aiken, who actually work well together!  They seem to keep cool under pressure (usually, but not always), and seem to have the best business sense.  My least favorite players are Lisa Lampanelli and Aubrey O’Day, though surprisingly (or maybe not so surprisingly) they are my twin brother’s favorites!  Lisa’s one of those loud and aggressive female comedians in the same vein as Kathy Griffin and Sarah Silverman, so she already has at least a dozen strikes against her just for that, and Aubrey sings and acts, but what she’s most known for is posing nude for playboy, which just shows you where her morals are!  Lisa has a mouth, an attitude, and a demeaning manner, talking down to everyone, and has quite the temper!  Meanwhile, Aubrey’s number one fan is Aubrey, and like Lisa, she has a tendency to think less of everyone around her than she thinks of herself.  No wonder she and Lisa got along so well!  I can’t tell you the number of times each of them said they had to carry the team, and though Lisa was sometimes correct saying this, expecially when she had Lou Ferrigno on her team, Aubrey was just plain wrong saying such things about Arsenio Hall.  The two of them together, Lisa and Aubrey, actually reminded me of the two witches at my former job who devised my removal.  Sitting in my final “meeting” with them, I felt like Clay Aiken or Cheryl Tiegs.  Fighting loud or self-centered women like that just isn’t my thing, and in hindsight, it was obviously orchestrated, and simply unfair.
     I liked most of the celebrities more than I thought I would, and that included Penn Jillette and Adam Carolla, who certainly couldn’t dance when they were on Dancing with the Stars.  I liked Cheryl Tiegs, and thought she was voted out way too early (it’s a compliment to say she was too nice for such a cutthroat competition), and Tia Carrere, and Patricia Velasquez, who I remembered as Anck Su Namun, the Mummy’s vicious bride, from the first two Brendan Frasier Mummy movies, and even Dee Snider of Twisted Sister fame.  Would you believe, I thought even George Takei was okay, though Mom couldn’t stand him, and when I imitated him, my sister and her girls thought it was funny, but Mom didn’t!  I also liked Paul Teutul Sr. and Michael Andretti, though they seemed laid back and didn’t do a whole lot.  I thought model and Ms. Universe Dayana Mendoza put up the good fight, but didn’t have the stamina or the brains for such competitive, corporate shenanigans, and that goes double for Housewives of New Jersey star Teresa Giudice.  Victoria Gotti was just about useless, though having mob connections, people were afraid to say such things (should I be worried now?), and Lou Ferrigno was almost as bad.  He could do little else other than pose and be the Hulk, and he knew it!  Debbie Gibson was the same, trying to recapture her previous 15 minutes of fame, but without one half the talent of Clay Aiken, or, much as I hate to admit it because she’s so self-centered, shallow, and immoral, Aubrey O’Day!  I’m just glad I don’t have to hear Gibson’s nasally “Pomtini – In the Garden of Crystal Light” jingle again!  They actually had the gall to hand that out as keepsakes!

Survivor: One World


Finally, here’s ten things to know about this season of Survivor:

  1. Colton, the selfish, spoiled, ber-gay guy who identified more with the women and somehow managed to steer the entire direction of the game, was quite the little, limp-wristed villain!  (I’m not being homophobic here because Colton would be the first to describe himself as a limp-wristed flamer!)  He treated Bill as a second class citizen (was it because he’s black or a stand up comedian?) and had a strong alliance with another villain, Alicia, telling Christina he didn’t care if she fell into the fire or got voted out.  His supposed case of appendicitis was probably God speaking.
  2. There were a lot of idiots on this season!  Read on!
  3. Christina is not too bright.  She consistently voted with the women, even when it was obvious she was the one on the very bottom.
  4. Tarzan (real name Greg) is a plastic surgeon in real life but didn’t talk or act like he had a brain in his head!  I now wish I had written down some of his dialogue during tribal councils, because it was hilarious, but not even Wikiquote had it catalogued!
  5. Leif, the short person who had a nice personality, was also not very sharp.  Along with Tarzan, he stuck with the women, even though it was obvious the women were voting out all the men.  When Troyzan won immunity, the women, of course, went to the other remaining men, and Leif was gone, only because he was a bit smarter and less useless than Tarzan.
  6. Kat was the epitome of the stereotype “dumb blond” and didn’t even know what appendicitis or an appendix was.  When Colton was removed from the game for suspected appendicitis, Kat looked shocked and said she hoped she didn’t get it!
  7. Kim probably thinks of herself as a good person, but she should watch footage of her expression each time her plan works and one of the guys is voted out.  None of the other women seem to understand that she is the mastermind, not even Christina and Kat, who are on the chopping block once all the guys disappear!  In fact, Kat was just voted out before Tarzan!
  8. Jonas is an all-round nice guy, but didn’t have a backbone.  He followed Colton unquestioningly, and when the women took control, he was voted out first simply because, unlike some of the more macho and conceited guys that had already been voted out, he was the nicest, hardest working, and amiable guy around.  I think Jonas should win the favorite or most likable player this year.
  9. Jay may look like a normal guy, but he has a weird, little kid voice.
  10. I’m sure I can’t be the only one who groaned over the fact that two guys, Greg and Troy, went by either Troyzan or Tarzan.  Give me a break!
Images from:



No comments:

Post a Comment