Thursday, January 10, 2013

A Trip Down Memory Lane for the Family - Remembering January 2000: My Nasal Surgery, Midnight Bowling, and Fiddler on the Roof!


     It’s the first month of 2000, and already there’s a big change (supposedly).  Smack dab in the middle of the month, I underwent nasal surgery to have my nose fixed.  My nose is now straight instead of its usual, twisted wreck, and I can breathe through it!  I’m still having a problem with smelling, but I’ve got my soap and underarm deodorant (bu-dum-bump!).  Seriously, though, it may just take time for my nose to heal, especially considering the pain I endured during and after the surgery.  It wasn’t quite as bad as it sounds, yet it sounds pretty bad:  [I won't share it now in this blog because it's pretty disgusting, but suffice to say that all these years later, it's still messed up!]
     The surgery itself was an interesting experience: They wheeled me into the operating room, stuck a cup over my mouth, and the next thing I know, I’m waking up incredibly groggy in recovery, drugged and all bandaged up with packing up my nose, leaking onto a bandage underneath.  When the doctor removed that packing three days later, it made my heart stop!  They had a ton stuffed up each nostril!  Each was about the size of a washcloth!
     I also bought a new pair of glasses with transition lenses that cost a fortune, but everybody seems to like them except my Uncle Herb, whose own preferences for eyewear style are very old fashioned, out of date, and geeky.  He still wears horn-rims!
     Mom was just so great when I went through my nasal surgery, and was really there for me!  I owe her so much!  She waited on me hand and foot – I don’t think I have thanked her much.  She deserves more – much more – from me.  I just cannot stress how wonderful she was!
     My twin brother Terry and his wife Darece were also wonderful.  They came over with a care package stuffed to the brim!  I got magazines, sweets, aspirin, a puzzle, M&M figures; they are just so thoughtful!  Kim also called several times to check up on me!  Scott didn’t, until about a week later, but his daughter Brittany called right away a couple of times to see how I was doing!  She is thoughtful too.  Scott surprised me later, however, when our entire gang went “Midnight Bowling” to celebrate Dana’s birthday.  He seemed genuinely concerned about my nasal surgery, and gushed on and on about that poetry book I wrote and gave everyone for Christmas, saying he couldn’t finish it because it was making him cry too much. ☺  He said he was sorry he hadn’t called about the nasal surgery, but gave the excuse that he’s a guy, and guys usually don’t do mushy things like that (except Terry).
     Anyway, Mom didn't like the midnight bowling, and as the evening wore on, it did seem to attract some riff-raff, which is to be expected.

     When we went to see Fiddler on the Roof at the Boulder Dinner Theater this month, Mom and I enjoyed it so much that we rented the old movie from the early 70’s, and we loved it too!  I love live theater, and those actors at the BDT are very talented!  Again, if I had it to do all over again…
     I also did quite a bit of picture cropping with Kim, and Heather quit King Soopers to become a hostess at Chili’s.

1 comment:

  1. Yeeks! I'd be so nervous about my face getting bumped!

    ReplyDelete