Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Cruel Bullies Who Hide Behind "I Was Only Kidding"

Writing about my job in February of the year 2000, I kind of went off on this guy who had a very mean sense of humor:


I like all my pod-mates, except Brian, who is a little hard to take because he’s arrogant and his humor is both flat and cutting.  It’s the type of humor where he seems to make personal threats just to see how others respond to him, and it requires that I be either witty or equally cutting.  Of course, this requires no actual wit on his part.  All he has to do is make a threat to kick my butt or call me a weenie, and then it’s up to me to work some humor into it so an embarrassing silence won’t make everybody think my feelings have been hurt (which they’re not) or that I can’t stick up for myself.  I just don’t like this "sense of humor," if that's what you can call it, because it’s not funny.  He says he’s "only kidding" and "just having some fun," but it's at my expense, and a casual observer of this so-called humor wouldn’t be able to tell that he was actually trying to be funny or have some fun.  I personally do not like this “humor,” if that's what it really is, the kind that could easily be mistaken as a threat or a mean-spirited, condescending put down.  I mean, I can come up with some clever put downs sometimes, but unlike Brian’s type of humor, they’re actually comical.  They have a form of verbal wit, exaggerated expressions, or comic timing.  Brian is incapable of that kind of humor, however, and I find him distasteful, blunt and uncouth, and not funny in the least.  I think it’s actually just his pathetic excuse for being a malicious jerk!

- All these years later, and you know something?  I can't even remember this guy, and have no recollection of having written this.  I guess he really meant nothing!

No comments:

Post a Comment