Saturday, July 13, 2013

Good Reads: Some of My Favorite Books

I don't just spend all my time watching movies and TV shows, you know, and even though I haven't written much about the books I've read in my journal, to share on my blog, that doesn't mean I don't read.  Looking over my list, I realize I'm actually a fairly avid reader!


My tastes run towards the conservative Christian right in non-fiction, and towards the supernatural in my fiction, and a melding of the two is nearly irresistible to someone who titled his blog Thoughts of a Sci Fi Christian Guy (though, interestingly, the few Frank Peretti or Ted Dekker novels I've picked up haven't impressed me too much)!  I just finished Who Do You Think You Are? by Pastor Mark Driscoll, Not a Fan by Pastor Kyle Idleman, and I bought Ann Coulter's How to Talk to a Liberal (If You Must) from a thrift store and started enjoying it, but then realized I had already read it, and already have a copy of it in my bookcase.  Oops!  I'm currently working my way through The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis, which I never read before, and just finished the first two published Narnia books, The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe and Prince Caspian.  I’ve also recently read, and enjoyed, Godforsaken and Life After Death: The Evidence by Dinesh D’Souza, Heaven is for Real by Todd Burpo, The Conservative's Handbook by Phil Valentine, and By Faith, Not by Sight by blind American Idol contestant Scott MacIntyre, and I found them all to be very interesting, well written page-turners.  



I also recently listened to the audiobook Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone by JK Rowling, and have been re-listening to Godless: The Church of Liberalism by Ann Coulter and What’s So Great About Christianity by Dinesh D’Souza.  I also have Killing Lincoln and Killing Kennedy by Bill O'Reilly and Martin Dugard on my iPod, and read a little bit here and there when I get a chance.  Either at night, or in the morning, I read a chapter from the Bible (LOVE the New Living Translation), and I've also been reading the American History edition of The Intellectual Devotional, which has a one page write-ups on the people and events that have shaped our country.  I won't remember all of it, I'm sure, but reading about it every night might help me recollect some of it (and at the very least, it can't hurt).  




I also have a child-like sense of humor, and have been nibbling at Horrifyingly Mad, a collection of spooky parodies culled from the pages of Mad Magazine that someone bought me from Barnes and Noble last Halloween.  Instead of one of those Bathroom Readers, I keep in my bathroom a book called Reflections for Movie Lovers that I picked up from the Family Christian Store, and which has Christian readings and interpretations of 365 films, one for every day of the year.  (This is also irresistible to someone like me, who just posted Christian interpretations of the Stephen King movies and books Firestarter and The Tommyknockers on my blog, and linked here through the titles).  
     Books are like plays.  I don’t read as many as the movies or TV shows I watch, or the music I listen to, but there’s still a rather extensive list of books over the years I’ve read and enjoyed, and that I might like to talk about sometime.  Just off the top of my head, the list includes Angela’s Ashes by Frank McCourt, Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton, Firestarter, The Green Mile, and The Shining, which are some of my favorite Stephen King books, and Wolfen by Whitley Steiber, the book that, way back in Junior High School, had me hooked on horror novels to begin with!



Then there's Mere Christianity by CS Lewis, The Diary of Anne Frank, The Hiding Place by Corrie ten Boom, The Roots of Obama’s Rage by Dinesh D’Souza, Let Freedom Ring and Deliver Us From Evil by Sean Hannity, Refuting Evolution by Jonathan Sarfati, and Jesus Among Other Gods by Ravi Zacharias, all of which took me further into the realm of the Christian right.




Jesus Freak, Live Like a Jesus Freak, and Under God were all books by band members from dc Talk.  A few other favorite fictional books over the years have included The Lord of the Rings trilogy by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1984 by George Orwell, Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury, and, of course, Hamlet and Romeo and Juliet, which are my two favorites by William Shakespeare.




Things got a bit heady with books like Beyond the Cosmos by Hugh Ross, the Intellectual Devotional books by David S. Kidder and Noah D. Oppenheim, The Metaphysics of Star Trek by Richard Hanley, and speaking of Star Trek, I found Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Companion by Terry J. Erdmann and Paula M. Block to be, by far, the best of the Star Trek companions due to the expressive writing and the great amounts of detail!  Carrying on the association with books based on sci fi TV shows, I thoroughly enjoyed X Files Book of the Unexplained Volumes 1 & 2 by Jane Goldman, and going back a bit further, I enjoyed several books by Roald Dahl, Bill Peet, and Dr. Seuss in my childhood.



A few other favorites from childhood included the “Ramona” books by Beverly Cleary, Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls, and A Wrinkle in Time by Madeline L’Engle. 
     A few others, such as Decision Points by George W. Bush, The Reagan Diaries, The Shack by William P. Young, Timeline by Michael Crichton, and Through My Eyes by Tim Tebow I just didn’t like quite as much, for various reasons, but that's okay.  This list is quite extensive as it is, and as I said, this is just off the top of my head.  I'm now wondering what I might have forgotten I've read... like the Ann Coulter book I just bought and already had!

No comments:

Post a Comment