Thursday, January 5, 2012

My First Post

Being that I'm a novice, I will keep my first blog posting rather simple.  I'm also not sure how personal I should get, and will probably be rather cryptic about family and names and such, at least until I get the hang of this.

As I wrote in my introduction, I was embarrassed recently when someone asked me what my hobbies are and I admitted I like to write, and considered myself a writer (though an unpublished writer), and have been writing in a journal for years, but that I don't blog.  He seemed shocked that I had been keeping a journal all these years, but didn't blog.

Part of the problem has been the things one writes in a private journal they may not want others to see.  Even among the very few things from my journal I've posted on my Facebook page, I have occasionally hurt the feelings of some family members, so I shall have to be very careful what I chose to include or post from my journals.  This may or may not include some political ideas, but keeping in mind that, although I am squarely in the conservative Christian camp, I am not a politician or a political pundit, and would not do well exposing myself to such heated discussions like Glenn Beck, Sean Hannity, Ann Coulter, and those on the other side of the coin like Bill Maher, Joy Behar, Janeane Garofalo all seem to thrive on.  I agree with those on the political right, like some of these blogs are sure to confirm (especially if I share some of the stuff I've written over the last twenty years), but I'd rather be known for my easy going personality and goofy sense of humor.

I expect this blog to be somewhat like my journal has been over the last few decades, and hopefully will continue to be.  It will be out here on the internet, and I will be selective in what I decide to say and any journal entries I may decide to share, old or new, but I expect I will talk about a lot of different things, just as I do in my journal, whether it's about a person I admire, I book I'm reading, movies and TV shows I watched and enjoyed, or absolutely hated, my walk with God, what's going on in the news, what's going on a work (a whole subject in itself these days, if I ever decide to share that part of my life) and maybe, just maybe, thoughts on the family, as long as they are not too personal.

For the past ten years, I've been going back over my journal entries from the entire time I've been writing these, and so, along with all my essays and trips down memory lane, I've collected sort of a "Greatest Hits" of some of my writing, and so, along with new blog posts, I'll probably eventually share some of this as well.  Like writing in my journal, this may take a bit of time for me to find a rhythm.

I don't expect to be followed.

We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment